Facial Hair in Women
Although facial hair is normal for women, there are often some darker, coarser hairs that stand out from the rest. These are known as terminal hairs and they often appear along the upper lip and around the chin. Whether you have a little or a lot, these darker hairs are the usual target of facial hair removal.
Why Do Women Have Facial Hair?
It is normal for women to have some facial hair. Most women with have a small number of darker terminal hairs, usually on the upper lip or under the chin. However, some women have large patches of hair in these areas. In some cases, this is simply due to genetics, but there can also be underlying causes. Conditions such as PCOS can cause excess facial hair in women, which may disappear once the cause is treated.
What Are The Options for Facial Hair Removal?
If you want to get rid of your facial hair, there are several treatment options to consider. The right choice for you will depend on how much hair you need to remove and which method you find most effective:
- Threading or plucking can be a good solution if you have a few dark hairs that you want to remove, but it will need to be done regularly
- Waxing can work for larger patches of hair, but it can be painful and you will need to let the hair grow back for a while before it can be removed
- Hair removal creams are a simple option to use at home, but they can leave your skin red and irritated
- Shaving is not recommended for facial hair removal in women as it can damage the skin and leave you with blunt-ended, thicker looking hair
- Laser hair removal can permanently prevent hair from regrowing, so it is the best choice if you want to get rid of your facial hair completely